MSSNY Alliance History
In May 1935, the President of Kings County Auxiliary, Mrs. John L. Bauer, was requested to organize a women's Auxiliary to the Medical Society of the State of New York. Mrs. Bauer attended the National Auxiliary's Convention and visited twenty-three county medical societies throughout the state to stimulate interests in the formation of future counties. By 1936, five had already been established, the first county being Queens in 1933.
On March 11, 1936, representation from Albany, Queens, Kings, Nassau, Cayuga and Onondaga met at the Waldorf-Astoria and organized our State Auxiliary. Constitution and by-laws were adopted, officers elected and Mrs. Bauer was the first President of the State Auxiliary.
The first Convention was held April 27-29, 1936 with forty delegates present. A membership of six hundred was reported. At that time, one delegate for each fifteen members was the ratio as compared to one for every thirty today.
The next seven auxiliaries organized were Madison, Saratoga, Schenectady, Suffolk, Orange, Columbia and Rockland.
The State Auxiliary, which voted to change its name to Alliance with the Medical Society of the State of New York in 1994, points to its history with pride. The future holds promise of greater accomplishment with continued united effort. The most important segment of our structure is the county. We are dependent upon each one to support the work of the Alliance and to participate in all activities.
At present, there are five active county auxiliaries/alliances: Broome, Jefferson, Onondaga, Richmond and Schenectady, with over 200 members which include 40 Members-At-Large affiliated with the Alliance with the Medical Society of the State of New York (AMSSNY).